[python-committers] 3.0rc2 schedule

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Oct 2 21:13:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> I'm still in favor of a solution that doesn't divide the APIs into
> "character file names" and "byte file names"; I want the "character
> file names" to work always.

I wish we could do that too, but I don't see how to make it work in
all contexts. If you are passing filenames to other programs or
libraries you may be forced to pass bytes, or in other cases you may
be forced to give up on supporting undecodable filenames (e.g. when
passing filenames to something written in Java).

> However, I find it completely unrealistic
> to make this work in Python 3.0. Providing that feature in 3.1 is
> still early enough, plus it requires a PEP.

Right.