[python-committers] Cutting Python 2.6

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Oct 1 22:33:39 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Over the next several hours I will be cutting Python 2.6.  All lights and
> buildbots are go for final release tonight.
>
> I have not yet heard from Trent about press releases, so we'll have to do
> those after the fact.

Press releases can lag behind, but I hope that this time the Windows
and OSX installers will be released together with the main tarball.

> I am also planning on releasing 3.0rc2 tonight, but only if there's time.

I'd recommend against this now. We need a few more days to implement
the solution for undecodable filenames. There's a patch set by Victor
Stinner that does most of what I'd like to have, but it needs 1-2 more
rounds of review and refinements. I'd really like to hold up rc2 until
this is in.

>  Final releases have much more work and the process is much less tested, so
> it may take me quite a while to get 2.6 final out.
>
> The trunk and 3.0 branches are officially frozen until further notice.  You
> /must/ contact me on irc if you need to make any changes.

Why freeze the 3.0 branch?

> Remember: #python-dev on irc.freenode.net.  Please include my nick 'barry'
> in any ping so I will notice.
>
> Yee haw!

Amen! Thanks for your relentless efforts, Barry and others!!!