[Python-buildbots] Moving Python.org to Buildbot 9 + Python 3

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 22 08:01:27 EDT 2017

On 9/22/17 4:12 AM, Zachary Ware wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> Sorry I've been largely unresponsive; time has been hard to come by lately.
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Craig Rodrigues
> <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>> I'm happy to help look into any problems, but you'll have to tell me what
>> those
>> problems are for me to investigate.
>
> For starters, there is still a worker connected to the test instance,
> which seems to have been failing the daily refleak builds with an
> exception since I connected it.  However, there's no way to see what
> that exception is from the web UI; it looks like it just doesn't load.
> I don't think there's anything particularly exotic in the config to
> trip it up, so it looks to me like a bug in buildbot (possibly related
> to running on Python 3).
>
> That seems to be a theme with this test instance; pretty much
> everything I click on looks incomplete whether logged in or not, and
> no errors appear in the logs.  Is there something missing/broken in
> the configuration?

I can provision a Python 3 buildbot 0.9 worker upon request if that
would help ease/verify/test the migration.

The FreeBSD buildbot port/package was updated to 0.9 a while ago, and
given the lack of backward compatibility (with a 0.8 master), I've had
to hold off on upgrades. Getting the 0.9 migration done sooner would for
me result in less management and support overhead than keeping it as is,
effectively an unsupported state downstream.

I would also be happy to switch the existing 2 'stable' FreeBSD (0.8)
workers over to 0.9 and a 0.9 server at any time, but would want to
ensure that doing so wouldn't:

- reduce branch/build-type coverage the 0.8 server config provides
- reduce visibility of their statuses to developers. (see them go and
stay red)

--
Regards,

./koobs