[Python-authors] intro and looking for writing tips

Matt Doar mdoar at pobox.com
Fri Jun 12 00:46:04 CEST 2009

I've been writing technically for about 20 years now (papers, reviews, a
Ph.D. thesis, various articles, a book for O'Reilly etc) and I still think
"you need the determination to get it done" is the most important advice.
98% perspiration and all that. Then you really have to care whether people
understand what you are saying, and of course you need basic proficiency in
some language (I'm starting at the beginning). Along the way I've been
helped by:

   1. Thinking who I'm writing for.
   2. Creating an outline, at two levels if necessary, of the specific
   contents of what I want to communicate
   3. Reviewing the outline with others
   4. Filling in the outline.
   5. Proof-reading, copy editing adds a level of polish.

Sometimes I write down a list of things that have irritated me in other
articles or books to make sure I don't forget to avoid them.
O'Reilly has a general guide for book authors:
http://oreilly.com/oreilly/author/index.html

All very general, and I'm still learning as I go.

~Matt