Pythran 0.9.0 - kozhamzer

serge guelton serge.guelton at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Nov 6 09:44:08 EST 2018

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce the release of version 0.9.0 of the
Pythran compiler, a compiler for numerical kernels written in Python.

It is available for download on PyPI;

    pip install pythran

And on Conda through conda-forge:

    conda install -c conda-forge pythran

The major change of this release is undoubtedly the use of xsimd [0] as
the new vectorization engine, which in turns enables vectorization of
complex number expressions! All the details are in the changelog reproduced below.

And an outstanding new: looks like Pythran is used at least in one
research team at Facebook \o/

In spite of the short window, we received *a lot* of bug report, thanks
a lot to @DerWeh, @KOLANICH, @RalphFS, @ashwinvis, @diorcety,
@h-vetinari, @jeanlaroche, @lw3259111, @paugier, @vgroff for reporting
and sometimes fixing issues. Special thanks go to @wolfv and
@JohanMabille for the xsimd
support.

We're getting closer to 1.0, which will probably be the first one to
drop 2.7 support (goal: 2020).

Until then, happy computations!

--
Serge

[0] https://github.com/QuantStack/xsimd

=====

2018-11-06 Serge Guelton <serge.guelton at telecom-bretagne.eu>

	* Moving to xsimd as vectorization engine, requires -DUSE_XSIMD

	* Better support of view conversion from Python to Pythran

	* Improved Cython integration

	* Improved documentation, add example section

	* Updated ArchLinux Packaging

	* Remove useless warnings during compilation

	* Faster ``abs(x**2)`` for complex numbers

	* IPython magic now accepts most optimization flags

	* Automatic detection of partially (or fully) constant shape for arrays

	* Add ignoreflags settings to .pythranrc to skip some compiler flags

	* Quad number (aka long double) basic support

	* And many minor bugfixes, as usual :-)