[ANN] Mayavi-4.6.0 release

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Sun May 27 06:28:23 EDT 2018

Hello,

We are pleased to announce Mayavi-4.6.0. Mayavi is a general purpose,
cross-platform Python package for 2-D and 3-D scientific data visualization.
Mayavi integrates seamlessly with NumPy and provides a convenient Pythonic
wrapper for VTK (http://www.vtk.org). It provides a stand-alone UI to help
visualize your data. Mayavi is easy to extend and embed in your own dialogs
and UIs.

For more information see here:

  http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/index.html

New features
-------------

- Support for Qt5. This makes Mayavi easy to install on Python 3.x.

- Thanks to the new VTK wheels now available on PyPI, this release is the
  first that makes it easy to install Mayavi with pip.

- Many bugs have been fixed.

On a 64 bit machine and with Python 3.x one can install Mayavi with the following::

  $ pip install numpy mayavi PyQt5

On Windows this will require a suitable compiler to build any extension modules.

This release should work with VTK-5.x, VTK-6.x, 7.x and 8.x. For more details
on the full set of changes see:

 http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/auto/changes.html#mayavi-4-6-0

Close to 50 PRs were merged. We are thankful to Bhavesh Thakkar, Christian
Brodbeck, David Haberthür, Emmanuelle Gouillart, Eric Larson, Federico
Miorelli, James Booth, Krishna Wadhwani, Marijn van Vliet, Min RK, Nelle
Varoquaux, Prabhu Ramachandran, Stefano Borini, and solarjoe for their
contributions towards this release.

cheers,
Mayavi Developers