ANN: poliastro 0.10.0 released 🚀

Juan Luis Cano juanlu001 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:35:06 EDT 2018

Hi all,

It fills us with astronomical joy to announce the release of poliastro
0.10.0! 🚀

poliastro is a pure Python library that allows you to simulate and analyze
interplanetary orbits in a Jupyter notebook in an interactive and easy way,
used in academia and the industry by people from all around the world. You
can install it using pip or conda:

pip install poliastro
conda install poliastro --channel conda-forge

This release was specially important in terms of development, and there are
major changes in the structure of the code, several performance
improvements, and many infrastructure changes. In particular, to pick only
one highlight, we now have a website displaying benchmarks created using
Airspeed Velocity:

http://poliastro.github.io/poliastro-benchmarks

In terms of new features, the most important one is the addition of
continuous thrust (or low thrust) guidance laws for some orbital maneuvers,
which means that now you can simulate spiral trajectories and much more.
You can read the full release notes in the documentation:

http://docs.poliastro.space/en/v0.10.0/changelog.html#poliastro-0-10-0-2018-07-21

By popular demand, the next release will be focused on improving reference
frame handling in Orbit objects, which hopefully will fix one of the long
standing pain points with poliastro.

If you want to know more, don't miss my talk on the Open Source Cubesat
Worshop held at the European Space Operations Centre:

https://youtu.be/KnoYzqAw_vM?t=1h36m14s

Please join our chat on Matrix/Riot and feel free to ask any questions you
might have:

https://riot.im/app/#/room/#poliastro:matrix.org

Per Python ad astra!

--