PyCA/cryptography 1.2 released

Paul Kehrer paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:49:23 EST 2016

On behalf of all our contributors I am pleased to announce the release of PyCA/cryptography (https://github.com/pyca/cryptography) version 1.2. cryptography is a package which provides cryptographic recipes and primitives to Python developers. Our goal is for it to be your "cryptographic standard library". We support Python 2.6-2.7, Python 3.3+, and PyPy.

Changelog (https://cryptography.io/en/latest/changelog/):

* BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE: RevokedCertificate extensions now uses extension classes rather than returning raw values inside the Extension value.
* Deprecated support for OpenSSL 0.9.8 and 1.0.0. At this time there is no time table for actually dropping support, however we strongly encourage all users to upgrade as those versions no longer receive support from the OpenSSL project.
* The Certificate class now has signature and tbs_certificate_bytes attributes.
* The CertificateSigningRequest class now has signature and tbs_certrequest_bytes attributes.
* The CertificateRevocationList class now has signature and tbs_certlist_bytes attributes.
* NameConstraints are now supported in the CertificateBuilder and CertificateSigningRequestBuilder.
* Support serialization of certificate revocation lists using the public_bytes() method of CertificateRevocationList.
* Add support for parsing CertificateRevocationList extensions() in the OpenSSL backend.
* Added CertificateRevocationListBuilder and RevokedCertificateBuilder to allow creation of CRLs.
* Unrecognized non-critical X.509 extensions are now parsed into an UnrecognizedExtension object.

...and various other improvements. Please see the website changelog for documentation and additional details.

-Paul Kehrer (reaperhulk)