Polly - Python program to generate XKCD 936 passwords from your email

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Sep 6 23:17:22 CEST 2014

Based on a discussion on comp.lang.python, I stole an idea from Chris
Angelico. His D&D game has a parrot that listens to the chatter of the
participants. You can ask Polly for a password and it will spit out an
XKCD 936 password from the words it has seen.

I don't play D&D, but I get a ton of mail from public mailing lists
and Internet forums, so I figured I could use that stream of messages
as a word set. In deference to Chris, I named it Polly. Polly is
written in Python and uses imaplib to monitor an IMAP folder for
messages. It seems stable enough at this point that mentioning it
outside of other threads on comp.lang.python seems useful. I have no
official release, just a Github repository:

https://github.com/smontanaro/polly

Feel free to fork it and play around. I've never used imaplib for
anything, and figure that code code could use a bit of help.

Skip