MacroPy Final Report, Request for Feedback

Haoyi Li haoyi.sg at gmail.com
Fri May 17 03:30:30 CEST 2013

Hey All,

I'd like to announce the release of MacroPy 0.1.7 (https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy). MacroPy is an implementation of Syntactic Macros in the Python Programming Language, which we used to implement a pretty impressive list of demo macros:

- Case Classes, easy Algebraic Data Types from Scala
- Pattern Matching from the Functional Programming world
- Tail-call Optimization
- String Interpolation, a common feature, and Pyxl, which is basically XML interpolation.
- Tracing and Smart Asserts, from every programmer's wildest dreams.
- PINQ to SQLAlchemy, a clone of LINQ to SQL from C#
- Quick Lambdas from Scala and Groovy
- Parser Combinators, inspired by Scala's
- JS Snippets, cross compiling snippets of Python into equivalent Javascript

Along with a really nice readme which serves both as a demonstration of the capabilities of macros, and also as an introduction to the macro-writing process.

This is probably going to be the last release that bundles all these demos together; future releases will begin properly breaking up the various macros into their own projects, and nicely polishing the core infrastructure into a solid foundation for others to build upon.

We think that this is a pretty cool project, and can serve as a easy way for people to prototype modifications to the python language. We're looking forward to your feedback and welcome contributions =)