ANN: EPD 7.1 released

Ilan Schnell ischnell at enthought.com
Fri Jul 8 07:37:26 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that EPD (Enthought Python Distribution)
version 7.1 has been released.  The most significant change is the
addition of an "EPD Free" version, which has its own very liberal
license, and can be downloaded and used free of any charge by
anyone (not only academics).  "EPD Free" includes a subset of the
packages included in the full EPD.  The highlights of this subset are:
numpy, scipy, matplotlib, traits and chaco.  To see which libraries
are included in the free vs. full version, please see:

        http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlibraries.php

In addition we have opened our PyPI build mirror for everyone.
This means that one can type "enpkg xyz" for 10,000+ packages.
However, there are still benefits to becoming an EPD subscriber.

        http://www.enthought.com/products/getepd.php

Apart from the addition of "EPD Free", this release includes updates
to over 30 packages, including numpy, scipy, ipython and ETS.
We have also added PySide, Qt and MDP to this release.  Please find the
complete list of additions, updates and bug fixes in the change log:

        http://www.enthought.com/products/changelog.php

About EPD
---------
The Enthought Python Distribution (EPD) is a "kitchen-sink-included"
distribution of the Python programming language, including over 90
additional tools and libraries. The EPD bundle includes NumPy, SciPy,
IPython, 2D and 3D visualization, and many other tools.

EPD is currently available as a single-click installer for Windows XP,
Vista and 7, MacOSX (10.5 and 10.6), RedHat 3, 4 and 5, as well as
Solaris 10 (x86 and x86_64/amd64 on all platforms).

All versions of EPD (32 and 64-bit) are free for academic use.  An
annual subscription including installation support is available for
individual and commercial use.  Additional support options, including
customization, bug fixes and training classes are also available:

        http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_sublevels.php

- Ilan