soaplib 2.0.0 beta1 released

Chris Austin chris at sydneysys.com
Fri Jan 21 00:35:18 CET 2011

Announcing soaplib 2.0.0 beta 1

We are pleased to announce 2.1.0-beta1 of soaplib. This introduces
significant API changes since the 2.1.0-alpha released in Sept 2010.

This release also marks the transition to new maintainers (Brad Allen
and Chris Austin), and a new repository location indicated on the new
PyPI record ( https://github.com/soaplib/soaplib).

Soaplib is an easy to use Python library for publishing SOAP web
services using WSDL 1.1 standard, and answering SOAP 1.1 requests.
With a very small amount of code, soaplib allows you to write and
deploy useful web services. It is designed to be web framework
agnostic, with bundled examples of use with specific servers (Zope2,
Twisted, CherryPy, WSGI).

Soaplib is fast: it relies on lxml for performance intensive aspects
such as XML parsing, validation, and namespace mapping.

This release includes many bug fixes and API changes designed to
improve readability.

Highlights of this release are:

+Now we have Sphinx docs with working examples:
http://soaplib.github.com/soaplib/2_0/
+The Serializer types have been renamed to Model to better fit their
use and similarity to “active record” declarative models seen in ORMs.
+Standalone xsd generation for ClassSerializer objects has been added.
This allows soaplib to be used to define generic XML schemas, without
SOAP artifacts.
+Annotation Tags for primitive Models has been added.
+Custom PortType(s) and Service(s) are now supported.
+WSDL generation has been moved out of the Application class and is
now handled by a standalone WSDL class.
+The soaplib client has been re-written after having been dropped from
recent releases. It follows the suds API but is based on lxml for
better performance. WARNING: the soaplib client is not well-tested and
future support is tentative dependent on community response.   It's
current location is in a seperate repo at
https://github.com/soaplib/soaplib.client
+0mq support has been added via a service and client.  Again, this is
experimental and not fully supported at this point.
+Increased test coverage for soaplib and supported servers.

Upcoming soaplib organization releases:

Tres Seaver has built a WSRP (Web Services for Remote Portlets)
library called wsrplib on top of soaplib.  This library is being
release shortly under the soaplib organization and can currently be
found at https://github.com/soaplib/wsrplib .  Many of the recent API
additions to soaplib were driven by this effort.  Once again, this
work would not have been possible without the sponsorship of ZeOmega.

We are interested in establishing a robust community process to
encourage adoption and contribution. Please let us know if you have
input on how we can get there; the goal is to provide a solid
end-to-end choice for working with SOAP using Python.

We'd like to thank ZeOmega (my employer) for sponsoring the work done
by myself, Brad Allen and many others to help keep soaplib moving.

Special thanks to Burak Arslan.  Even though his currently not able to
maintain the package he
is responsible for a  huge amount of  leading up to this release.

Special thanks also to Tres Seaver who while working on wsrplib
provide invaluable input for improving soaplib.

Additional thanks go out to everyone who has made suggestions, rants,
and most importantly submitted any type of bugfix.