RSFile 1.0 Released

Pascal Chambon chambon.pascal at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:59:17 CEST 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm presently pleased to announce the first stable release of the
"RSFile" package.

RSFile aims at providing python with a cross-platform, reliable, and
comprehensive file
I/O API. It's actually a partial reimplementation of the io module, as
compatible as possible
(it passes latest stdlib io tests), and which offers a set of new - and
possibly very useful - features:
shared/exclusive file record locking, cache synchronization, advanced
opening flags, handy stat
getters (size, inode...), shortcut I/O functions etc.

Unix users might particularly be interested by the workaround that this
library provides, concerning
the catastrophic fcntl() lock semantic (when any descriptor to a file is
closed, your process loses ALL
locks acquired on it through other streams).

RSFile has been tested with py2.6, py2.7, and py3k, on win32 and
unix-like systems, and should work
with IronPython/Jython/PyPy.

The technical documentation of RSFile also includes a comprehensive
description
of concepts and gotchas encountered while setting up this library, which
could
prove useful to anyone interested in getting aware about gory file I/O
details.

The implementation is currently pure-python, as integration with the C
implementation of io module
raises lots of many issues. So if you need heavy performances, standard
python streams will
remain necessary. But for many programs and scripts, which just care
about data integrity, RSFile
should be a good choice.

Downloads:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/RSFile/1.0
http://bitbucket.org/pchambon/python-rock-solid-tools/downloads/

Documentation:
http://bytebucket.org/pchambon/python-rock-solid-tools/wiki/index.html

Enjoy,
regards,
Pascal

PS : due to miscellaneous bugs of python core and stdlib io modules
which have been fixed quite recently,
it's advised to have an up-to-date minor version of python (be it 2.6,
2.7 or 3k) to benefit from RSFile.