OpenHatch: Find ways to contribute to open source (including Python itself)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Apr 12 22:47:08 CEST 2010

Hi all! I'm happy to announce the new version of the OpenHatch volunteer
opportunity finder.

Volunteer opportunity finder
----------------------------

Looking for a way to get involved in open source, but don't know where to
start? Try browsing bugs in the OpenHatch volunteer opportunity finder:
https//openhatch.org/search/

At PyCon, I led an open space where some of us tried finding things to
work on. We found "easy" documentation bugs in Python, and wrote up
patches. Within a few weeks, our patches were comitted to the Python core.

Contributors to hundreds of projects (including Python itself) label bugs
as good for new contributors. Those bugs are an opportunity for you to
find a new project to contribute to in open source, so try browsing them
at https://openhatch.org/search/?q=&toughness=bitesize

Do you run an open source project? You can add your project to our index
by clicking "Add a bug tracker." If you want to get new contributors more
easily, try tagging bugs in your bug tracker as "bitesize."We're always
looking for more projects to include in our crawls.

About OpenHatch
---------------

We're a website for helping people find ways to get involved in free, open
source software. We also run a profile engine where you can tell your
story in open source, emphasizing all the ways you've been involved in
projects. (Successful open source projects take more than just code!)

For more info
-------------

Keep in touch by:

* Joining #openhatch on irc.freenode.net
* Replying to me and getting on our announcements list
* Subscribing to @openhatchery on Twitter/Identi.ca
* Reading our blog at https://openhatch.org/blog/

Or grab our source code: https://openhatch.org/source-code-etc/

-- Asheesh.

--
... bacteriological warfare ... hard to believe we were once foolish
enough to play around with that.