TurboGears 2.0 final released

Mark Ramm mark.mchristensen at gmail.com
Thu May 28 03:36:23 CEST 2009

The long wait is finally over!

I am happy to announce the release of TurboGears 2.0 final.

http://turbogears.org/2.0

This release is the product of a lot of work by the whole TurboGears
team, and we're very happy to have a final stable release. TurboGears
2.0 final includes all kinds of goodies for those making web
applications, from one of the most powerful and flexible Object
Relational Mappers available in any language, to a powerful and
flexible template system.

But just as important as the quality of the parts, is the
out-of-the-box integration to help get you started quickly:

* We have quickstart template that helps get you going quickly with
everything you need: from sample templates, to sample controllers and
tests.

* We have an extensible user/groups/permission system that you can
easily configure into your app when quickstarting a project.

* We have zero config needed support for development database backed by SQLite

* We have a working admin system for editing your database while your
app is in development

* Our admin system is extensible and reusable as a component of your application

There's lots more. But we also don't think that out of the box
defaults should become constraints on our users.  TurboGears 2 is
designe to get you started quickly and get out of your way when you
know what you want.  So, a trivial configuration change lets you use
DB2, or Oracle, or SQLServer, and everything we've wired up for you is
easy enough to customize or replace. For example, we support configs
for three major python template engines out of the box, and you can
easily make your own render function to handle anything else you want.

One of the goals of TurboGears 2  is to use standard python
components, that are valuable in all kinds of other contexts, so you
are not tied into one monolythic system. Learning SQLAlchemy can help
you write command line tools, GUI apps, web-services that don't use a
framework; Genshi is valuable when generating all kinds of xml data
for interchange between systems; the beaker is a great caching system
that's valuable in all kind of web contexts, etc.

TurboGears 2 final is just now comming out, but it's already in
production use at places like ShootQ, RedHat (for a large set of
Fedora infrastructure projects) and many other places. And we're
already looking forward to a few more high profile TG2 deployments in
the next few weeks.

--
Mark Ramm