Join us for "Scientific Computing with Python Webinar"

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Thu May 21 16:58:43 CEST 2009

[re-sent plaintext by aahz at python.org for c.l.py.announce]

Hello all Python users:

I am pleased to announce the beginning of a free Webinar series that
discusses using Python for scientific computing.   Enthought will host
this free series  which will take place once a month for 30-45 minutes.
The schedule and length may change based on participation feedback, but
for now it is scheduled for the fourth Friday of every month.     This
free webinar should not be confused with the EPD webinar on the first
Friday of each month which is open only to subscribers to the Enthought
Python Distribution.

I (Travis Oliphant) will be the first speaker at this continuing series.
I plan to present a brief (10-15) minute talk on reading binary files
with NumPy using memory mapped arrays and structured data-types.  This
talk will be followed by a demonstration of Chaco for interactive 2-d
visualization and Mayavi for interactive 3-d visualization.   Both Chaco
and Mayavi are open-source tools and part of the Enthought Tool Suite.
They can be conveniently installed using the Enthought Python
Distribution.   Topics for future webinars will be chosen later based on
participant feedback.

This event will take place on Friday at 3:00pm CDT and will last 30 to
45 minutes depending on questions asked.   Space is limited at this
event.   If you would like to participate, please register by going to
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/422340144 or by clicking on the
appropriate link in the attached announcement.

There will be a 10 minute technical help session prior to the on-line
meeting which you should plan to use if you have never participated in a
GoToWebinar previously.  During this time you can test your connection
and audio equipment as well as familiarize yourself with the GoTo Meeting
software.

I am looking forward to interacting with many of you this Friday.

Best regards,

Travis Oliphant
Enthought, Inc.

Enthought is the company that sponsored the creation of SciPy and the
Enthought Tool Suite.  It continues to sponsor the SciPy community by
hosting the SciPy mailing list and website and participating in the
development of SciPy and NumPy.      Enthought creates custom scientific
and technical software applications and provides training on using Python
for technical computing.   Enthought also provides the Enthought Python
Distribution.   Learn more at http://www.enthought.com

Travis Oliphant's bio can be read at http://www.enthought.com/company/executive-team.php