Jython 2.5 Alpha Released!

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:50:31 CEST 2008

On behalf of the Jython development team, I'm pleased to announce that
Jython 2.5a0+ is available here
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/jython/jython_installer-2.5a0.jar for
download.  See http://jython.org/Project/installation.html for
installation instructions.

This is the first alpha release of Jython 2.5 and contains many new
features.  In fact, because we have skipped 2.3 and 2.4, there are too
many to even summarize.  A few of the features are:
* generator expressions
* with statement
* exceptions as new-style classes
* unicode support more in line with CPython
* decorators

Under the hood Jython 2.5 has a new parser based on ANTLR 3.1 and the
compiler has been refactored to use ASM.

There are so many more changes that I have missed more than I have
listed.  This is an alpha release, so there are known and unknown
bugs, so be careful.