EPD 2.5.2001 for OS X released!

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Aug 7 19:17:02 CEST 2008

I'm pleased to announce that Enthought has released the Enthought Python
Distribution (EPD) 2.5.2001 for OS X!

EPD is a Distribution of the Python Programming Language (currently
version 2.5.2) that includes over 60 additional libraries, including ETS
2.7.1. Please visit the EPD website (http://www.enthought.com/epd) to
get the OS X release, or just to find out more information about EPD
2.5.2001

So what’s the big deal?

In addition to making everyones’ life easier with installation, EPD also
represents a common suite of functionality deployed across platforms
such as Windows XP, RedHat Linux, and now OS X 10.4 and above. The
cross-platform promise of Python is better realized because it’s trivial
for everyone to get substantially the same set of libraries installed on
their system with a single-click install.

What’s the catch?

You knew it was coming, huh? If you’d like to use EPD in a Commercial or
Governmental entity, we do ask you to pay for an annual subscription to
download and update EPD. For academics and non-profit, private-sector
organizations, EPD is and will remain free. Let’s be clear, though. EPD
is the bundle of software. People pay for the subscription to download
the bundle. The included libraries are, of course, freely available
separately under the terms of license for each individual package (this
should sound familiar). The terms for the bundle subscription are
available at http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlicense.php. BTW,
anyone can try it out for free for 30 days.

If you have questions, check out the FAQ at
http://www.enthought.com/products/epdfaq.php or drop us a line at
epd-users at enthought.com.

And just one more note:
Enthought is deeply grateful to all those who have contributed to these
libraries over the years. We’ve built a business around the things they
allow us to do and we appreciate such a nice set of tools and the
privilege of being part of the community that created them.