ceODBC 1.0

Anthony Tuininga anthony.tuininga at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:24:07 CEST 2007

What is ceODBC?

ceODBC is a Python extension module that enables access to databases using the
ODBC API and conforms to the Python database API 2.0 specifications with a few
exceptions. I have tested this on Windows against SQL Server, Access
and Oracle. On Linux I have tested this against PostgreSQL.

Where do I get it?

http://ceodbc.sourceforge.net

Background

I recently had the need for accessing SQL Server and Access databases
and checked out the available options. The odbc module that comes with
the win32 extensions worked reasonably well but it had a number of
deficiencies and it was clear from the documentation that no further
work was intended. I then checked out mxODBC. It is a great module but
for my purposes the cost was too great to warrant purchasing it. I
decided to see how much effort writing my own module would take and
discovered that, with a copy of cx_Oracle as a starting point, the
effort was minimal. With the hope that this module might prove useful
to others as it already has to me, I am making this release. Any and
all feedback welcome.

Anthony Tuininga