ANN: tl.googlepagerank

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Thu Jan 25 00:54:08 CET 2007

I've released tl.googlepagerank 0.1, a package and a script for querying
the Google page rank of individual URLs. This is done the same way the
Google toolbar accesses page ranks.

The package is available from the Python package index as a source
distribution and as eggs for both Python 2.4 and 2.5:

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/tl.googlepagerank

On a side note, this project is the first to live in the tl package
namespace. Should a tl package or package namespace be in official use
already, I'm not aware of it and would appreciate learning about it.

>From tl.googlepagerank's README.txt:

Run the script with any number of command line parameters. It takes each
parameter to be a URL to query Google for. Each query may take some time,
typically a couple of seconds. These are two sample runs, the dollar character
representing your system's command prompt:

$ googlepagerank http://www.google.com/ http://www.thomas-lotze.de/
10 http://www.google.com/
 4 http://www.thomas-lotze.de/

$ googlepagerank http://www.example.com/foobar http://foobar
   http://www.example.com/foobar
RE http://foobar

Google page ranks range from 1 (unimportant) to 10 (important).
An empty page rank means Google has not yet assigned a rank to the URL.
"IO" instead of a page rank means there was an error contacting Google.
"RE" means Google's response could not be understood.

The code is maintained in a subversion repository at
<https://svn.thomas-lotze.de/repos/public/googlepagerank>.

There is a ViewCVS view on the repository available at
<http://svn.thomas-lotze.de/public/googlepagerank>.

The project is also described briefly at
<http://www.thomas-lotze.de/en/software/>.

--
Viele Grüße,
Thomas