ANN: April 12, 2007 Meeting Notes - Omaha Python Users Group

dundeemt dundeemt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:37:11 CEST 2007

First Off, a big thank you to Jay and Reboot The User for allowing us
to have our meeting at Reboot The User.  It worked out very well -
nice seeing your code on a 50" display!  Jay also supplied the
Internet access too.

While the meeting was small, I consider it to be successful.  We
talked a little bit about PyCon and then moved on to the email2rss
project.  There was discussion on the two major packages used,
libgmail and PyRSS2Gen module.  You can see the outcome of the
email2rss.py project at http://www.dundeemt.com/rss/omaha-rss.xml
Which is a RSS feed of the User Group mail list.

Other elements of the project discussed were:
 * slices
 * pickle module
 * option parsing
 * pylint
 * editors (Komodo Edit/IDE and SciTE)

There was an open discussion about python in the work place.  The
consensus seemed to be small skunk-work projects were ideal for
introducing the language.  Python's ability to sling data and ability
to integrate with sysadmin type scripts make it ideal for this type of
assault.

The wiki, mailing list and flyer were shown.  Until the need presents
itself, we will continue to use the resources provided by the PSF.  In
fact, there is an effort through the Python Advocacy group to enhance
user group resources.  Go Advocacy!

There was discussion of the rumored Google-Plex / Council Bluffs.  It
was agreed that this would be a good thing for the metro IT community
if it is true.  Council Bluffs, IA sits across the Missouri River from
Omaha.  A number of our members work in Council Bluffs.

Pizza and Pop were provided by Dundee Media & Technology.  Be sure to
mail the list with requests for toppings and flavors for the next
meeting, as DM&T will sponsoring the food and beverages for the
meetings.

For more information on the upcoming meetings and other python related
activities please see:
 http://www.omahapython.org