DFW Pythoneers had a Successful Holiday Meeting

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Mon Nov 27 11:55:11 CET 2006

The DFW Pythoneers had a great meeting this past Saturday, with 8 people
showing up on the holiday weekend.  We discussed Python descriptors,
properties and lazy/cached computation, and then went into an informal
discussion about metaclasses and played with a simple example.  The ideas we
covered took a bit of effort to get your head around, but everyone seemed to
appreciate their value when we wrapped up.

For those that don't know, the more formal presentations for our club are
archived at:

https://dfwpython.org/repo/Presentations/

     * 2005-07-17-Serving-Web-Content-using-Python/
     * 2005-08-17-Storing-Data-using-Python/
     * 2006-03-25-About-Python-Eggs.odt
     * 2006-03-25-About-Python-Eggs.pdf
     * 2006-06-24-Python-Design-Patterns.odt
     * 2006-06-24-Python-Design-Patterns.pdf
     * 2006-07-08-Python-Design-Patterns-2.odt
     * 2006-07-08-Python-Design-Patterns-2.pdf
     * 2006-07-08-Python-Design-Patterns-Handout.odt
     * 2006-08-12-Python-2.5.odt
     * 2006-08-12-Python-2.5.pdf
     * 2006-08-12-Python-Design-Patterns-3.odt
     * 2006-08-12-Python-Design-Patterns-3.pdf
     * 2006-11-25-FunWithDescriptors/

And we have a slowly growing set of club projects at the following page.  Note
however that many of them are experimental or unfinished, so don't expect
polished ready-to-run source.

https://dfwpython.org/repo/Projects/

     * DBUS/
     * GnomeApplets/
     * HalResponder/
     * MailClients/
     * PongInvaders/
     * PyCon/
     * PyIE/
     * TwistedAddressbook/
     * TwistedBase/
     * TwistedCalendar/
     * TwistedTaskmaster/
     * challenges/
     * googlewhack/
     * rpmcleaner/

Last, at a recent meeting I went over the infrastructure of the Python
advocacy website I'm working on, written in Zope 3.  Still a bit rough, for
those who've asked, here is where you can find the source:

   https://svn.python.org/www/trunk/advocacy.python.org/

I hope to see you at a future meeting.  For meeting details, check out:

   http://python.meetup.com/10
   http://www.dfwpython.org

Jeff Rush
DFW Pythoneers Organizer