ANN: Kamaelia Bundles Updated

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Fri Jun 23 19:58:25 CEST 2006

Hi,

We're experimenting with distributions of Kamaelia including all the key
dependencies for all the examples, which we're dubbing Kamaelia Bundles.

These have been updated for the following new releases: Kamaelia 0.4.0, Axon
1.5.0, vorbissimple 0.0.2. As a result the two files are:

   * KamaeliaBundle-1.2.0.tar.gz
   * KamaeliaMegaBundle-1.2.0.tar.gz
     (same as above but also includes libvorbis, libogg and libao)

Installation instructions here:
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/GettingStarted.html

This consolidates the last 6 months work on optimisation work aimed at being
able to grab & transcode Digital TV broadcasts in realtime. This means
there's been a large number of positive knockons, and also include a number
of new and useful examples/tools:

   * Collaborative/Shared/Networked whiteboard (clients are servers as well)
   * Presentation Tool
   * A simple record & transcode PVR - which we're using as the back end for
     generating the data available here:
        http://bbc.kamaelia.org/cgi-bin/blog/blog.cgi

We've also now got lots of documentation on the website:
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Introduction.html
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Cookbook.html
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Components.html

Full Release notes:
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Kamaelia-0.4.0-ReleaseNotes.html
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Axon-1.5.0-ReleaseNotes.html

Downloads:
   * KamaeliaBundle-1.2.0.tar.gz

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=122494&package_id=183773&release_id=427118

   * KamaeliaMegaBundle-1.2.0.tar.gz

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=122494&package_id=183774&release_id=427119

License:
   * This is an aggregate tar ball, so each file in the distribution
     is covered by its own license. (ie this is mere aggregation)

As an indication of the performance, it's fairly trivial to write a
programme to take a Digital TV channel (~5Mbit/s of data rate) and
locally remulticast it. Since you can then use a laptop with wireless
as a portable TV, it's nicer to use instead of an analogue TV sender
from the local supermarket :)  (Obviously whether you can do this really
depends on your local copyright laws, but it's a nice indication of
performance)

Oh, also, apparently this month's Linux Magazin in Germany has a short
article on Kamaelia. I can't read it, but the cat comes out well :)

Have fun,

Michael.
--
Michael Sparks, Senior Research Engineer, BBC Research, Technology Group
michael.sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk, Kamaelia Project Lead, http://kamaelia.sf.net/

This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.