Scratchy 0.8 - Apache Log Parser and Report Generator

stuff at mailzilla.net stuff at mailzilla.net
Tue Feb 15 01:07:02 CET 2005

Scratchy version 0.8 is available for download at:
http://scratchy.sourceforge.net

Version 0.8 represents a significant upgrade to the previously released
version (0.6.9).  Some of the changes:

Prior to 0.8:
- Pickling of data
- IP-To-Country
- GDChart

New to 0.8:
- MySQL database storage of most data (SQLite and Gadfly are currently

  planned).
- MaxMind GeoIP (for IP to country lookups)
- ChartDirector
- More search engines, robots and browsers are detected
- More configuration options (such as EXCLUDE_HOSTNAMES and
EXCLUDE_URLS)

About Scratchy
Scratchy is a set of scripts to parse Apache web server log files and
extract useful information. From this data, Scratchy will create HTML
reports so that website administrators can easily view the information
and determine trends and their typical audience.

Scratchy began as a proof-of-concept which allowed me to compile stats
about my personal website. As time progressed I continually added
features and improvements and I felt that it was now at a point that
it would be useful to others.

Why Scratchy?
Well, the name of the project of course comes from the Simpsons "Itchy
and Scratchy Show". The functionality that the project aims to supply
is a complete log parsing and report generating tool. Also, there
seemed to be a need for such a project in Python. I have seen some
other Apache log parsers but they were developed in other languages
(such as Perl, C, etc). One goal of this project is for it to be
extensible, to that tune, most of the report appearance can be easily
modified by tweaking a single config file.

What information does Scratchy report?
* Accessed web pages
* hosts accessing your website
* operating systems
* browsers
* search engines
* robots/spiders
* file types accessed
* errors
* countries
* a trace of pages accessed by each ip address (if enabled).
* charts are produced for many of the tables (if enabled)
http://scratchy.sourceforge.net