ANN: ConfigObj 4.1.0 and Validate 0.2.1

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:01:16 CET 2005

 **ConfigObj 4.1.0** and **Validate 0.2.1** are now  available.
{sm;:-)}

ConfigObj and validate have both had moderately big updates.

**What are they ?**

`ConfigObj <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html>`_ is a
simple but powerful config file reader and writer: an *ini file round
tripper*. Its main feature is that it is very easy to use, with a
straightforward programmer's interface and a simple syntax for config
files.

It supportes nested sections, preserves the order of keys and sections,
list values, multiple line values, etc.

`validate <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/validate.html>`_
integrates with ConfigObj (but can also be used standalone) to check
that values meet a certain specification. This can be used to validate
a config file, *and* convert values to the expected type.

**What Has Changed?**

Configobj:

Added a ``merge`` method. This allows easy merging together of several
config files (e.g. merging user values on top of a default one).

A new ``flatten_errors`` function to turn the resutls dictionary from
``validate`` into a flat list of errors.

     Added merge, a recursive update.

     Added preserve_errors to validate and the flatten_errors example
function.

     Thanks to Matthew Brett for suggestions and helping me iron out
bugs.

     Fixed bug where a config file is all comment, the comment will now
be initial_comment rather than final_comment.

     Validation no longer done on the 'DEFAULT' section (only in the
root level). This allows interpolation in configspecs.

     Also use the new list syntax in validate 0.2.1. (For configspecs).

Validate:

A new list syntax for checks.

    Fixed bug so we can handle keyword argument values with commas.

    We now use a list constructor for passing list values to keyword
arguments (including default) : ::

        default=list("val", "val", "val")