Alpha 2.3.3 port to Symbian OS UIQ (P800, P900) available

Tim Ocock python@monkeyhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:04:38 +0100

At http://www.monkeyhouse.eclipse.co.uk/mobile/python.htm you can find my
independent attempt to port Python to Symbian OS devices. It is a new port
from the generic Python 2.3.3 sources. The Python interpreter works in
console mode, and most of the standard library modules work as expected.

I am launching the project publicly now as I have completed the first proof
of concept and am now inviting ideas and contributions. There is still lots
of work to do. The software runs inside the emulator, but is of no use on a
real device as there is no way to enter text (except possibly with an IR
keyboard, but I haven't tried that).

I have not seen the Nokia Series 60 runtime, but am aware of it. I don't
know what their intentions are regarding open source licensing, but if their
work is available on appropriate terms, then I would rather use that for
this project than reinvent the wheel.

Currently, the Python interpreter runs and you can interactively enter
Python programs or code fragments. Please get in touch if you are interested
in contributing.