ANN: pyCatalog

Polerio Babao Jr.II admin@polerio.com
23 Oct 2003 21:22:34 -0700

Download: http://sf.net/projects/pycatalog
Website: http://pycatalog.sf.net

pyCatalog is a Python, MySQL, wxPython, Reportlab application
specifically usable in library and information centers. It simply
produces book catalog and card catalog in pdf format rendered using
reportlab. The program takes MARC file as its source data.

pyCatalog is a Python, MySQL, wxPython, Reportlab application
specifically usable in library and information centers. It simply
produces book catalog and card catalog in pdf format rendered using
reportlab. The program takes MARC file as its source data. pyCatalog -
is a combination of Python, wxPython, Reportlab, and python-mysql
application that renders Book and Card Catalog.

Catalog output is one of the core output needed in library software
today. Because open source system for libraries as of this date didn't
have this kind of feature as most other proprietary library software
have today. This includes Koha, Obiblio, and PhpMyLibrary. By making
this generalized solution, those open source system for libraries
mentioned will be able to take advantage from this application because
the software is not centered on one library system. The application
simply needs a MARC file in order to output the desired book and card
catalog. The application was written in Python to make it platform
independent. Thus it will run in Linux, Mac, and Windows environment.
Other utilities added include python-mysqldb, wxPython, reportlab.

The application require MySQL database to manipulate the order of the
catalog. Card catalog is a 3x5 page size output that comprises one
book bibliographic entry. Book catalog is a full page output that
comprise 1 or more bibliograrphic entry. It was named pycatalog,
simply because it is written entirely in python, and catalog wholly
describes the purpose of this application. I wanted to make this
application open source because I believe open source developers will
put this application above all expensive proprietary software for
libraries. And will make this application fully-functional, I may not
have that complete resource to create a world-accepted catalog
generator but I think ideas and contributions from the developers
around the world would help improve this application. I brought this
idea to the public because of the necessity I felt during my project.
I have searched all day long at Google to find a catalog generator but
I find nothing. Hope this application would be able to help small to
large scale libraries around the world.

It simply needs MARC file to output thier desired catalog. MARC means
Machine Readable Catalog (The MARC formats are standards for the
representation and communication of bibliographic and related
information in machine-readable form.) This is simply a machine
readable bibiliographic description of materials like book, newspaper,
etc.

Download: http://sf.net/projects/pycatalog
Website: http://pycatalog.sf.net

Polerio T. Babao III