Kodos 1.1 released - Regular expression visual debugger for Python

Phil stuff@nonpoint.mailzilla.net
15 Apr 2003 11:42:39 -0700

Kodos 1.1 has been released and is available at:

http://kodos.sourceforge.net

Kodos is a regular expression designer, tester, debugger and validator
that allows a developer to create and modify regular expressions
against a
test string.  The intuitive interface allows the developer the ability
to modify the regular expression (regex) and to see the effects
against their test string in real-time.

Key Features:

- Matches can be easily viewed and each match can be seen distinctly

- Regex groups and named groups are clearly displayed

- Sample source code is shown so even python developers new to regular
expressions can quickly add the produced regular expressions to their
own projects.

- Ability to load and save your test cases

- Kodos relies on PyQt for the GUI elements.

Changes since 1.0:

Added the ability to (un)pause regex processing.

Added "import file" option to file menu.

Added a bug reporting mechanism within the application

Added an additional preference (email server) to the preferences menu
(for use with the bug reporting window). Fixed tabbing issue within
preferences).

Added a 3 second timeout for editing (may eventually move this to
preferences).  I've been able to produce situations where the findall
and search (with a non 0 start) methods of the compiled re object take
awhile to complete.  This timeout fixes these situations.

I've also uncovered a case where the re (python2.1 and python2.2,
maybe others) locks up entirely (perhaps an infinite loop).
Unfortunately, the timeout doesn't fix this event (since control never
yields from this re method, furthermore, the alarm signal is never
fired) and it causes Kodos to freeze.  Currently, I don't have a
solution for this but I'm not sure if anyone is experiencing this
problem (this seems to be a python re bug and not specifically a Kodos
bug, however, it would be nice if it could be handled gracefully).

Code cleanup.  All windows share the same Kodos toolbar text logo
(previously, there was a disconnect between main window, help and
reference windows).

Fixed a bug that prevented Kodos from launching if used with PyQt (Qt)
2.x