Syck 0.15 -- YAML extension for Python

why the lucky stiff python-announce@whytheluckystiff.net
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:43:38 -0600

Over the last few months, I've been developing a YAML parser in C which
loads data directly into Python native structures.  I imagine some of
you have used Steve Howell's PyYaml.  This extension is much swifter and
quite competitive with Pickle/cPickle.

Release notes are in the YAML below, so if you don't have a clue what I'm talking
about, then I'm sure you can linkhop until it makes sense.

---
released: { name: Syck, version: 0.15 }
for: [ Ruby, PHP, Python ]
by: why the lucky stiff
about: >

  Syck is a YAML parser, an extension for scripting
  languages, written in C.

  So what is YAML?  YAML is a new language for data.
  Describe objects in plain text.  Load the data into
  your scripting language as arrays, dictionaries,
  classes, or primitives.

links:
  YAML: http://www.yaml.org/
  YAML Cookbook: http://yaml4r.sf.net/cookbook/
  YAML Type Repository: http://yaml.org/type/
  YAML Specification: http://yaml.org/spec/
  Syck: http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/syck/
  Syck Benchmarks: http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/arch/2003/03/19
  Tarball @ SourceForge: http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/yaml4r/syck-0.15.tar.gz

status: >

  Syck is about 60% compliant with the YAML spec.  Most of
  the remaining issues deal with whitespace.  Syck also doesn't
  yet support any of the shortcut syntax optimizations from the
  specification.

  The extensions are quite usable, though.  Ruby, PHP and Python
  can load from a string containing YAML.  Ruby also has support
  for stream loading from any IO object.

benchmarks: >

  Syck is quite speedy, although not as swift as most language's
  native serialization.

  Syck runs at about:

  30-35% of the speed of Ruby's Marshal.
  15-50% of the speed of PHP's deserialize().
  600% of the speed of Python's Pickle.
  33-40% of the speed of Python's cPickle.

  (Based on various types of structured data.)

installation: >

  Syck contains working extensions for the Ruby, PHP, and Python
  languages.  Each requires compilation of the libsyck library,
  followed by compilation of the extension.

  To compile libsyck, first download libsyck.

    tar xzvf syck-0.15.tar.gz
    cd syck-0.15
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

  To install the Ruby extension:

    cd ext/ruby/ext
    ruby extconf.rb
    make
    sudo make install

  To install the Python extension:

    cd ext/python
    python setup.py build
    sudo python setup.py install

  To install the PHP extension:

    sh make_module.sh
    sudo make install (if you weren't root during make_module.sh)
    php -q syck.php

examples: |

  To load this document in Ruby:

     ($:~)$ irb
     >> require 'syck'
     => true
     >> yp = YAML::Syck::Parser.new( {} )
     => #<YAML::Syck::Parser:0x8058530>
     >> yp.load( File.open( 'syck-0.15.yml' ) )
     => {"status"=>"Syck is about 60% compliant ..."}

  To load this document in PHP:

     ($:~)$ php -a
     Interactive mode enabled

     <? dl( 'syck.so' ); print_r( syck_load( implode( '', file( 'syck-0.15.yml' ) ) ) ); ?>

     .. php then outputs ..

     Array
     (
         [released] => Array
             (
                 [name] => Syck
                 [version] => 0.15
             )

     .. and so on ..

  To load this document in Python:

     ($:~)$ python
     Python 2.1.3 (#1, Jul 11 2002, 17:52:24)
     [GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (release) [FreeBSD]] on freebsd4
     >>> import syck
     >>> f = open( 'syck-0.15.yml' )
     >>> syck.load( f.read() )
     {'by': 'why the lucky stiff', ... }