pyrepl-0.7

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:38:48 +0100 (BST)

It's taken waay to long, but I've finally released a new version of
pyrepl, imaginatively called pyrepl 0.7.

>From the README:

This is pyrepl 0.7, a readline-a-like in Python.

http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/pyrepl.html

It requires python 2.1 (or newer) with either the curses and termios
modules built or pygame, and features:

 * sane multi-line editing
 * history, with incremental search
 * completion, including displaying of available options
 * a fairly large subset of the readline emacs-mode keybindings
   (adding more is mostly just a matter of typing)
 * a liberal, Python-style, license
 * a new python top-level
 * no global variables, so you can run two or more independent readers
   without having their histories interfering.
 * no hogging of control -- it should be easy to integrate pyrepl into
   YOUR application's event loop.
 * generally speaking, a much more interactive experience than readline
   (it's a bit like a cross between readline and emacs's mini-buffer)

There are probably still a few little bugs & misfeatures, but _I_ like
it, and use it as my python top-level most of the time.

To get a feel for it, just execute:

$ python pythoni

(One point that may confuse: because the arrow keys are used to move
up and down in the command currently being edited, you need to use ^P
and ^N to move through the history)

I seem to have forgotten to mention the prototypical new pygame
console, probably one of the more interesting things in this release...

Cheers,
M.