ANNOUNCE: getopt-sig created

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:58:38 -0500

My recent proposal to add Optik to the standard library unearthed a few
other interesting, competing solutions.  Guido didn't want python-dev to
drown in a sea of getopt-related traffic, so the getopt-sig@python.org
mailing list has been created.

The goal of the list is to determine a suitable module for high-powered
command-line parsing to be included in the standard library with Python
2.3.  Proposals currently on the table include:

  * Optik (by me; see optik.sourceforge.net)

  * arglist.py (by Ben Wolfson; see
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~wolfson/Python/arglist.py)

  * an unnamed, off-the-cuff implementation by Russ Cox, based
    on Plan 9's C macros for option parsing -- see
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-February/019982.html

If you are interested in getting something more powerful and
easier-to-use than the current getopt module into Python's standard
library, please join the list:

If you just want to state an opinion (eg. "Optik rules", "Optik sucks",
"Russ' idea looks good to me"), please post it to getopt-sig@python.org
-- you don't have to join the list to do that.  Anyone who has emailed
me (or the optik-users list) their opinion of Optik in the past should
feel free to reiterate that opinion on getopt-sig@python.org.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - just another /P(erl|ython)/ hacker          gward@python.net