some Python announcements are lost

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:09:48 -0400 (EDT)

There is a problem with the moderation software we use for
comp.lang.python.announce.  As a result of this problem, some approved
messages are being list; the message does not get forwarded to the
newsgroup and neither the author nor the moderators get a notification
that the failure occurred.

If you post a message to comp.lang.python.announce, the message should
either appear on the list or you should get a rejection notice from
the moderators.  If neither event occurs, your message is probably
lost.  (We do reject obvious spam without sending a rejection notice.)

The specific problem appears to be related to message headers that are
accepted by mail agents but rejected by some or all NNTP servers.
It's a bug in the Mailman moderation patch and/or its mail-news
gateway, and the Mailman developer(s) are working on a fix.

Until the problem is fixed, you may want to resubmit lost
announcements.  In order to prevent them being lost a second time, the
following techniques may help: Post via Usenet rather than mail.  (If
you post via Usenet and your announcement is lost, please send me a
personal email.)  If you post via email, please remove any unusual
header (X-Been-There-Done-That) and do not include any duplicate
headers.

Jeremy