meta description of newsgroups?

barbara pattist pattist@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:15:31 -0500

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:03:33 -0700, Brian Mailman
<bmailman@sfo.com>wrote:

>Russ Allbery wrote:
>>
>> Brian Mailman <bmailman@sfo.com> writes:

>> > Before you start pointing people there, please subscribe to alt.config
>> > and read all that "The Guardian of Sailor Moon" (tgos) has to say about
>> > newsgroup creation.
>
>> The content in the above pages isn't too bad, though, although I could
>> nit-pick some of the technical details.
>
>No, it isn't, and there's plenty I agree with him about.  There's also a
>lot of things I don't.  It seems the details you'd nitpick some find to
>be major--and not being a sysadmin, (I only lurk in nanap) I can't tell
>who's right.  I believe that listing both categories might be offtopic
>for this list and I was attempting to make a neutral statement so that
>Sheila King could ascertain for herself the provenance of the advice.
>
>B/

I've never decided whether TGOS is a kook with spells of rationality or
a sane guy who goes crazy on certain topics. In any case he's not in my
killfile yet, although I've been sorely tempted of late. :)

In a nutshell, he keeps telling proponents they don't need a charter for
a newsgroup knowing full well there are users coming to alt.config
to say their ISP won't carry a group because there is no charter. His
FAQ... ignore justification, traffic measurements, charters....
conflicts with all the other FAQs on group creation.

BarB