[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] dbm.sqlite

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 10 11:23:54 CEST 2008

On 2008-09-10 00:26, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     mal> Besides, what's so bad with downloading and installing a package
>     mal> from PyPI ?
>
> Nothing, I do it all the time.  But my impression is that when an external
> module moves into the core it frequently undergoes some type of name change
> (e.g. pysqlite vs sqlite3 or Optik vs optparse) even if the two versions are
> functionally identical.  In this case, my hope is that dbm.sqlite will
> eventually move into the distributed dbm package.  If so, it would be nice
> if the move was transparent.

Transparent as in "I don't have to change my code" ?

I actually find it helpful to have the PyPI packages that ended up in
the stdlib use different names, since that opens up the possibility
to use the more current releases from PyPI in an application.

Switching back to the core version usually just takes a one line
change, if at all...

try:
    import pysqlite as sqlite
except ImportError:
    import sqlite3 as sqlite

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 10 2008)