[Python-3000] PEP 3108 and the demise of bsddb3

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Sep 4 04:33:48 CEST 2008

>From issue3769:

    Skip> Remind me why we want to get rid of bsddb?

    Benjamin> The reasons are enumerated in PEP 3108.

Not much justification and no references to outside discussion for such a
heavily used package which has been part of Python for a long time in one
form or another.

I find it amusing that bsddb3 is a key justification for the removal of
bsddb185 and then later on bsddb3 is deemed too much of a maintenance burden
itself to retain.

Does dumbdbm (aka dbm.dumb) work any better than it used to?  I'd hate to
think that's going to be the default cross-platform dictionary-on-disk
package for Python.  Can he pep at least be edited to reflect which of the
various dbm.{bsd,ndbm,dumb,gnu} modules will be supported on what platforms
by default?

Skip