[Python-3000] suggestion: structured assignment

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 29 22:15:47 CEST 2008

allyourcode at gmail.com writes:

 > Well, I'm sorry for bothering his majesty with such a stupid idea. At
 > least one other person didn't know about it either...
 >
 > On 5/28/08, Mike Klaas <mike.klaas at gmail.com> wrote:

 > > I find it hard to believe that you have even attempted this, which has
 > > been valid in python for ages:

Um, stupidity (in the sense of not understanding all the implications
of the grammar) or ignorance (of the relevant section of the docs) is
not the point.  The point is that the proposed syntax (a) might
already mean something (even the semantics you suggest, in which case
you should say "d'oh, thanks!" when it is pointed out), or (b) not be
feasible for reasons that become obvious when you see the error
message that is emitted when you try it.  So try it before posting.