[Python-3000] dbm package creation

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun May 25 21:21:26 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'll handle the PEP 3108 dbm package if nobody else is already at it.

Two questions though:

* the whichdb() function returns strings that are module names.  These
   names won't be importable anymore in 3k.  Should the return values
   remain the same in 3k, or should whichdb() return the new names, and
   if the latter, including "dbm." or not?

* two of the previous modules are C modules, namely dbm and gdbm.  They
   can't be easily moved into the package.  I expect the solution is to
   create stub Python modules and rename the C modules with a leading
   underscore? (It's already like this for bsd, except that the C module
   name, bsddb, has no underscore.)

cheers,
Georg