[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue May 20 03:59:22 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> It's being able to write
>
>     str.transform('gzip').transform('uu')
>
> which doesn't require knowledge about the modules doing the actual
> work behind the scenes.

That doesn't preclude those modules exporting their
functionality in the form of codecs having the standard
codec interface.

There are two independent issues here:

1) Should the functionality be provided in the form
    of a codec? (Yes, that's fine, IMO.)

2) Should all codecs live in a central registry and
    be callable via methods on strings and bytes?
    (I'm not convinced that's the case.)

--
Greg