[Python-3000] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sun May 4 21:57:26 CEST 2008

M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
>> PYTHONPATH is lacking one feature which is important for lots of
>> packages and setuptools. The directories in PYTHONPATH are just added to
>> sys.path. But setuptools require a site package directory. Maybe a new
>> env var PYTHONSITEPATH could solve the problem.
>
> We don't need another setup variable for this. Just place a
> well-known module into the site-packages/ directory and then
> query it's __file__ attribute, e.g.
>
> site-packages/site_packages.py
>
> The module could even include a few helpers to query various
> settings which apply to the site packages directory, e.g.
>
> site_packages.get_dir()
> site_packages.list_packages()
> site_packages.list_modules()
> etc.

I don't see how it is going to solve the use case "Add another site
package directory when I don't have write access to the global site
package directory and I don't want to modify my apps."

> Just in case you don't know...
>
> python setup.py install --home=~
>
> will install to ~/lib/python
>
> The problem is not getting the packages installed in a non-admin
> location. It's about Python looking in a non-admin location per
> default (as well as in the site-packages location).

I know the --home option. For one the --home option is Unix only and not
supported on Windows Also the --user option takes all options of my PEP
370 user site directory into account, includinge the PYTHONUSERBASE env var.

Christian