[Python-3000] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 2 01:24:24 CEST 2008

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote in message
news:ca471dc20805011541y63dd132eo6e67310eaeea3ffa at mail.gmail.com...
| On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
| > As I understood this,one needs a diff to comment on.
| >  I can imagine wanting, or wanting others, to be able to comment on a
file
| >  or lines of files without making a fake diff (of the file versus
itself or
| >  a blank file). Then only one column would be needed.
|
| Yeah, this use case is not well supported. In my experience with the
| internal tool at Google, I don't think that anybody has ever requested
| that feature, so perhaps in practice it's not so common. I mean, who
| wants to review a 5000-line file once it's checked in? :-) The right
| point for such a review (certainly this is the case at Google) is when
| it goes in.

I am thinking of an entirely different scenario: a package of modules that
are maybe a few hundred lines each and that accompany a book and are meant
for human reading as much or more than for machine execution.

Or this: 15 minutes ago I was reading a PEP and discovered that a link did
not work.  So I find the non-clickable author email at the top and notify
the author with my email program.  But how much nicer to double click an
adjacent line and stick the comment in place (and let your system do the
emailing).  (I presume the sponsor of an item in your system can remove
no-longer-needed comments.)  So I guess I am thinking of your system as one
for collaborative online editing rather than just patch review.

Terry