[Python-3000] Strategy for porting to 3.0?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Mar 19 14:59:11 CET 2008

    >> How soon before the set of warnings it emits stabilizes?

    Martin> Define "stabilize". In the sense that existing warnings will not
    Martin> be revoked anymore? That should be now already.

Maybe I should have written "stops growing significantly" or "plateaus"
instead of "stabilizes".  It seems to me that if people will be adding many
more -3 warnings in the next couple months I should wait until most/all
those warnings are added to the code.  I guess I was really asking if we've
passed the "knee" in the growth of the number of warnings -3 will emit.

    >> Then what?

    Martin> Hard to tell at the moment. Assuming you want to continue to
    Martin> support 2.x and 3.x concurrently, you should come up with some
    Martin> strategy on how to do that.

That's not a big problem.  I don't mind creating source distributions for
both for awhile (a couple years anyway).

    Martin> One option that I envision is that you might keep all sources as
    Martin> 2.x, and only convert to 3.x at installation time,

How can this ever work?  Aren't there always going to be some
incompatibilities which aren't covered by -3 or 2to3?  Those will require
manual code changes which aren't 2.x compatible.

I view this mostly as an exercise to provide feedback to the greater Python
community, not necessarily a straight-line path to 3.x support in
SpamBayes.

Skip