[Python-3000] from .foo import *

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Mar 18 20:59:56 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> On 18 Mar, 2008, at 16:49, Aahz wrote:
>>On Tue, Mar 18, 2008, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
>>>
>>>When I do a relative star import, I current get
>>>
>>>SyntaxError: 'import *' not allowed with 'from .'
>>>
>>>What's the reason for this restriction?
>>
>>It was the first step in removing the ability to use "from *" at all.
>>I don't have time right now to find the discussion, but I can do that
>>later if you want.
>
> Do you remember approximately when and where this was discussed? I
> don't like the idea, but don't want to restart the discussion without
> reading the previous discussion.

It was part of PEP 328 (Relative Imports) [*] -- and actually, taking a
quick look at the PEP, it appears that the links within it point to some
discussion about the "import *" issue.

[*] General note to the list: see how I'm using both the PEP number and
the title.  For those of us who don't live and breath PEPs it is really
helpful to have both.

--Bill Harlan