[Python-3000] should Python 3's executable install as 'python'?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Mar 5 23:31:48 CET 2008

    Guido> I guess I wasn't clear -- I don't want there to be a target that
    Guido> does what install does today. It would be a mistake to use it in
    Guido> 99.99% of cases. IOW

    Guido>   install = altinstall

The install target does three things (ignoring Mac framework installs):

    altinstall
    bininstall
    maninstall

The altinstall target is version-specific, so it's fine.  The bininstall and
maninstall targets create files which are not obviously tied to a specific
version though.  Their actions are complex enough that most people are not
going to want to do them manually though.  I still think it worthwhile to
have *some* target in the Makefile which depends on altinstall and does the
bininstall and maninstall steps.  Something like "makeprimary"?  I don't
know.  You still need some way to record all the steps necessary to make
what you're installing "right now" be considered "python".

Skip