[Python-3000] stdlib as .zip by default, pydoc to view source?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Jun 21 17:24:56 CEST 2008

I think this would be a mistake by default -- being able to read the
source *easily* (i.e. without any specific tools) is part of Python's
success.

However I think it would be useful to support this better for more
easy creation of Python distributions embedded in other apps. E.g. at
my previous job we distributed an "agent" implemented in Python, and
for isolation purposes we bundled our own copy of Python. It would
have been nice if we could've bundled the stdlib as a zipfile instead.
(I know we could've done the work ourselves, but it wasn't a priority,
and this is a wheel that really doesn't need to be invented by
everyone on their own.) And no, Py2exe wouldn't have helped.

--Guido