[Python-3000] Install on Vista / AMD64 AthlonX2 platform

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Jun 11 00:55:44 CEST 2008

[Getting slightly off-topic for py3k, but relevant to our universe anyway....]

Hi  Michael,

> Yes, that's the right bit. However your concern is spot on - if you
> set the bit, it will never display the UAC prompt. That's what I
> referred to in my previous message with "it can only successfully
> install into machine locations if it was launched by a full
> administrator context." In order for such a setup to succeed on Vista
> when launched by a limited user, etc., it needs to have ALLUSERS
> unset, and not install into any machine registry or file locations
> (i.e. no HKLM or ProgramFilesFolder).
>
> My recommendation would normally be to not set the bit (keep requiring
> administrative privileges). If you need to support the limited user
> case, either provide a second package (well, double the number of
> packages) with the bit unset, provide a link to ORCA with
> instructions, or provide a small helper utility (exe or VBS script)
> which can swap the bit using MSI automation. I'm not certain whether
> that's a great recommendation across the set of most Windows Python
> users.

  Just to be clear, you are saying it is *impossible* to have a single .MSI file that, based on a user preference, either a) prompt for UAC and writes to HKLM or b) not prompt but writes to HKCU instead?  I'd find that somewhat ironic, as bdist_wininst based installers are now capable of doing that ;)

Cheers,

Mark