[Python-3000] Is pickle's persistent_id worth keeping?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Thu Jan 10 19:58:27 CET 2008

> On Jan 10, 2008 4:52 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> wrote:
> > I'm very dependent of bsddb support in python. I'm very sorry also of
> > the maintainer support of it: he is slow and doesn't implement python
> > bindings for berkeleydb features deployed five years ago :-(. Could be a
> > bit rude, but maybe a maintaner change would be in order. I would rather
> > prefer to talk to current maintainer, but I rather apply for maintaner
> > position than dropping bsddb from the python stdlib!!.
>
> Hi Jesus,
>
> I don't know if there *is* a current maintainer. There are a few
> people who sometimes fix things in the current code base, but I think
> development has stopped. If you're serious about wanting to take over
> maintenance, (or even just contributing) that would be great!

I consider myself the maintainer because I at least make sure it keeps
working with new berkeleydb releases and such and am one of the most
familiar with the _bsddb.c code internals (both the good and the bad).

But theres a caveat to me having that job: I have -zero- use for the bsddb
module myself today. Whenever I update it it really is a donation of my time
since I don't personally need the changes.  A maintainer that has a vested
interest in using the module would be a great thing.  There are a couple
crashing bugs that need fixing and a few more recent API additions that
could be wrapped for sure.

Volunteering Jesus? :)

-gps