[Python-3000] Windows gui vs. console

Niki Spahiev niki.spahiev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:18:21 CET 2008

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> That's actually a separate problem from the one Paul and I are
> talking about, one that I'm not even going to *try* to solve.  (Being
> as I already have, and failed miserably.)  Hell, I'm not sure Windows
> even has a way to *tell* whether your app was launched from the
> command line or otherwise.  I couldn't find one for Win2K, anyway;
> there might be a way to do it in XP and Vista.

Checking for attached console is one possibility.
AttachConsole(ATTACH_PARENT_CONSOLE)

Remarks
The calling application can call any of the console functions. For
example, a graphical application can use the console to display
debugging output.

A process can be attached to one console. If the calling process is
already attached to a console, AttachConsole fails with ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED.

Niki Spahiev