[Python-3000] pickle, cPickle, and the standard library (was Re: [Python-Dev] inst_persistent_id)

Charles Merriam charles.merriam at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:24:55 CET 2008

What about a formal dependency plan instead?

Python would remain 'batteries included', perhaps verging on 'kitchen
sink included'.

Those users working to embed Python or work in other situations where
a large set of available libraries is a problem would have some help
in cutting down the footprint in an particular installation.  That is,
one could freely delete some set of libraries and be fairly sure the
resulting library set would still run.  What was left would be a
smaller footprint interpreted language, just not 'Python'.

Under what circumstances is this a poor idea?   "Hard drive space is
expensive" is not an acceptable argument.

Charles
---------
Charles Merriam
e:  charles.merriam at gmail.com
u:  http://charlesmerriam.com
q:  "Toolboxes have more tools than just a hammer."