[Python-3000] Comparing to None

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Feb 2 02:18:23 CET 2008

> You should have been there when this was decided about two years ago.

IIRC, the decision was a general one about cross-type
comparisons not being turned-on the default.  I do not
recall a specific discussion about None.

Also, the list at the time was flooded with propositions
ranging from the reasonable to the insane. It was not always
possible to know what to respond to or the implications of each
choice. I sure wasn't aware that those conversations were to be
immediately frozen in stone. I had thought one of the purposes
of the Py3.0 was so that we could download it and explore the
implications of all of these choices.  I've done so and bumped
into the None comparability issue several times. If you no
longer want feedback, that's fine. I can bring my
experimentation with the 3.0 alpha to a close.

Raymond