[Python-3000] Python 3.0 - what's new

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Dec 5 08:26:17 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum schrieb:
> Good catches.
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:29 AM, Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote:
>> http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html
>>
>>> os.getcwdu() returns the current working directory as a bytes instance
>>
>>   getcwdb(), I suppose?
>>
>>> New binary literals, e.g. 0b1010 (already in 2.6).
>>> Bytes literals are introduced with a leading b or B, and there is a new
>>> corresponding builtin function, bin().
>>
>>   I think, the last sentence should say "builtin function, bytes()", and
>> bin() should be mentioned in the previous entry about binary literals.
>>
>>   It seems there are a few conversion errors like this:
>>> The only acceptable syntax for relative imports is from .``[*module*] :keyword:`import` *name*; :keyword:`import`
>>   Seems like bacticks are not handled properly.
>
> Odd. I guess ``.`` is only recognized when surrounded by whitespace.
> Seems like Andrew fixed this by writing the two forms separately, but
> now 'module' is not italicized. I'd rather have a space between ``.``
> and [*module*]. I'll fix this in the py3k branch.

reST is a bit awkward here; markup is not recognized when not surrounded
by "nonword characters", and it seems to count the dot as a word character.
You can always fix this by inserting an "escaped space" which vanishes in
the parsed document, e.g. from ``.``\ [*module*] import ...

I'd suggest leaving out the keyword markup here; then you need only a single
literal span.  You can use :samp:`from .{module} import {name}` to italicize
names in it.

Georg